Skip the tortilla and cheese to make this wheat-free and/or dairy free.
Excellent served with Agave Limeade and topped off with Cinnamon Chili Dark Chocolate Cake.
Serves 4 plus leftovers.
Keeps in airtight container in the fridge for 5 days.
- Olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 golden beets, diced
- Cayenne pepper to taste (start with a sprinkle and add more if you're uncertain)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can organic chick peas, rinsed
- 1 can organic kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon mole (see Mexican foods in the grocery store)
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked according to package instructions (will make about 2.5 cups)
- 4 whole-wheat tortillas (of course corn and white flour work perfectly well)
- 1/4 cup organic white cheddar, shredded
- Lettuce or beet greens
- Salsa and guacamole to garnish
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoon olive oil on medium heat. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the Beets, mole, pepper, salt, and garlic. Saute until browned. Add more oil as needed.
- Add the beans, saute 2 minutes. Add a little bit of water to make the mixture slightly saucy.
- Stir in the cooked rice and mix well. Drizzle generously with olive oil and agave. Turn up the heat and brown it all up - stirring constantly. Taste and season as needed.
- Remove rice and beans from heat.
- Assemble burritos with rice and beans, cheese, greens, salsa and guacamole in a tortilla or on a bed of greens (if you're avoiding wheat). Serve immediately.