February 22, 2009

Cinnamon and Chili Dark Chocolate Cake


A while ago, I posted a French Dark Chocolate Brownie recipe, but that was an accidental find in my quest for finally arriving at this recipe. I am so pleased to have what is now officially my favorite chocolate cake ever. It has all my favorite qualities: deep, savory spices; silky and dense texture; sophisticated morsels of cherry; super dark chocolate. This cake is happily inspired by Mexican spices, Tuscan cherries, Spanish chocolate, and my mom's everlasting demonstration of delicious cake making. I usually cut the recipe in half for a mini cake. It takes about 12 minutes to prepare this cake and lasts beautifully sealed in the fridge for 5 days.

I really could go on and on...so I'll pass it off to you now. Enjoy!
  • 10 oz/284 grams 70% chocolate, roughly chopped
  • 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 5 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1.5 teaspoons chili powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup dried cherries
  • Powdered sugar for dusting
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9.5 inch springform pan.
  2. Melt butter and chocolate together in a double broiler on medium-high heat. Stir occasionally until mixture is smooth.
  3. Mix together sugar and eggs in a large bowl. Slowly mix in chocolate. Add spices and cherries.
  4. Pour the batter into the springform pan and bake until toothpick comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Delicious! Although I made it slightly different. Substituted the cherries with blackberries and added a pinch of cardamom which boosts the chocolate. Topped it off with a dark chocolate glaze (hard). Yum!

Anonymous said...

NO flour ??