March 13, 2012

Quinoa and Ginger Stuffed Peppers

It's not that I haven't been cooking lately - it's that I haven't been cooking anything new. And if I do, then I just don't have that extra hour to take a picture and post it for you guys. Don't think that I'm not wishing I were posting more often ... I longingly glance over at my cookbook shelf daily. I regularly think to myself that I'll make time to post. what's going on? I have 2 baby boys! Sigh. And they are amazing and beautiful, and full of energy. Ethan just reached 6 months and is already exceedingly attentive to his older brother. They will be quite a pair come summer, I'm sure. 

Three days ago I made these delicious stuffed peppers and it really felt like a big accomplishment. So here I am, in the middle of the night, telling you all about it. If you can picture it, Jaden was in his safety tower and neon green apron with his whisk directing the whole operation while Ethan gripped the 1 cup measuring cup while sitting on the counter in one of his many chairs. I may have to rename this blog cooking with kids. In any case, this dish is, of course, easy and nutritious. Perfect for a spring dinner with friends. Serve with a simple green salad and your set! 

Serves 2 plus extra for lunch the next day.

  • 2 bell peppers, seeds and tops removed
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1 tsp 'better than bouillon
  • 1tsp rice wine vinegar 
  • 1/4 cup Annie's Gingerly Dressing
  • Olive oil 
  • 1/3 cup dried cherries
  • 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
  • Garlic powder 
  • Sea salt and freshly ground pepper 
  1. Cook the quinoa according to package directions, but add the bouillon to the water. 
  2. Preheat oven to 350F.
  3. In a large skillet, heat up about 2 tablespoons of oil on medium high heat. Add the quinoa and saute - what we're doing here is browning it up a bit to give it a ver slight crunch. Very slight. 
  4. Generously sprinkle with more olive oil and garlic powder. Add vinegar, dressing, cherries, tomatoes and almonds. Mix well and keep browning. 
  5. Taste and season as desired with salt and pepper. Remember that there is salt in the bouillon. 
  6. Stuff quinoa in to pepper and pace in a baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes. I like my peppers to be hot but still crunchy - if you like them soft, cook them longer. 
  7. Remove from oven, carefully cut in half (they're hot!) and serve. 



No comments: