March 14, 2012

Brown Sugar Lemon Cake


As with many good recipe finds, this one surfaced due to a surplus of a particular ingredient. For some reason I had a whole bowl full of beautiful lemons and no plan. I'd been thinking about pound cake and really wanting some, so lemon pound cake became the plan. In my research, I found that most recipes call for five eggs. I like to use recipes with two or less whenever possible so that I can substitute ground flax seed. I found this one, which had great reviews and didn't disappoint me either. 

This is a cake. It's nutritional value is less than limited. However, it is a lesser of evils in the the cake world. And it's totally delicious. I made mine with brown sugar (I bought a whole bunch of organic raw brown sugar so I'm using it in everything), ground flax instead of eggs, and coconut milk instead of regular milk. It turned out well and though it wasn't really a pound cake, I would make it again and recommend it to others as the perfect spring cake for afternoon tea, dessert after a spring meal with friends, or a snack in the lunchbox. 

Makes one loaf. Serve with SoDelicious frozen dessert. 

  • 1/2 cup Earth Balance Butter, melted
  • 1 cup organic brown sugar 
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax seed + 6 tablespoons water; let stand 2 minutes
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 1 1/2 cups organic flour 
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder 
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk 
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  1. Preheat oven to 325F. 
  2. Mix together butter and sugar. Add flax mixture and lemon juice. Mix well. 
  3. Add salt, flour, and baking soda. Stir in the milk
  4. Pour mixture into a well-greased loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour until golden brown. 
  5. Serve warm or cool. 


No comments: