June 26, 2011

Dark Chocolate Frosting


Since moving back from Spain where I pretty much made everything from scratch, I've been cheating more frequently and buying pre-made items. As always, cheating doesn't pay off in the long run and I've wished nearly every time that I would have made the item myself. My most recent purchase and disappointment was chocolate frosting. Firstly, there was no corn syrup-free option. Secondly, as a direct result of the corn syrup, the frosting was way too sweet and had a terrible fake chocolate flavor. In fact, I believe that it was chocolate flavored. Disgusting.

The following recipe was noted in my cooking notebook from a while back sans credits. I think it came from a combination of Internet sources and testing. In any case, I LOVE this frosting and am so glad that I made it again to remind myself why I will never buy frosting again. In truth, this frosting takes less time to make from items already in your pantry than it does to got to the store and buy some. It authentically tastes like chocolate and if you close your eyes the gentle, creamy flavor can take you back to Brugge or Paris. I usually make a double batch to frost a large cake and have a little extra for tasting and sharing with Joey.

Makes 2 cups.
Keeps 5 days sealed well in refrigerator.
  • 2 2/3 cups powdered sugar
  • 3/4 cup cocoa
  • 6 table spoons fresh butter, softened (from experience: using old butter makes the from taste like old butter - that is a bad thing)
  • 5 - 6 tablespoons milk (any kind you typically use)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  1. In a medium bowl, whisk together cocoa and sugar.
  2. In a mixing bowl with a hand mixer or a stand mixer, cream the butter. Add half the cocoa mixture.
  3. Alternately add milk and cocoa to butter mixture while mixer is running. Beat to spreading consistance. Add vanilla.
  4. Frost cake or cupcakes immediately.

No comments: