Lately I've been buying up ripe bananas left and right for my favorite almond-banana smoothie, but today I decided to expand our horizons. Whenever we have any type of banana bread, we go crazy. It's curious that since we love banana breads so much and they are so easy to make that I don't make them more often. This recipe is really quick and easy - inspired from The Joy of Vegan Baking. I added cinnamon and flax seed for a little extra nutritional boost. These muffins are super moist and are delicious for breakfasts and snacks. I think that next time I might lay off the sugar a little.
Makes 12 muffins or one 9-inch cake.
- 2 cups unbleached four
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground flax seed
- 1/2 sugar
- 1/2 honey
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled, and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 355F/180C. Lightly grease your muffin tins or 9-inch/23-cm cake tin.
- Mix flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and flax seed in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, honey, and oil. Add the bananas and mash them with a potato masher or similar utensil. Combine sugar and oil mixture with bananas well. Mix in the water and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and mix well. Stir in the walnuts.
- Fill each muffin tin about half-way with the batter. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden and toothpick comes out clean.