September 15, 2011

Ruby Red Summer Swiss Chard Salad


Ruby Red Swiss Chard fresh from the garden is amazing and delicious. Since this is the first year I've grown it, I admit that I am a bit overwhelmed by how much of it I have. I've been giving it away like crazy to neighbors and family - but by now it's high time I take better advantage of this dark leafy green rich in vitamins C, K, A and Iron. This salad is a the result of me testing out new ways to eat, and enjoy, chard.

I suppose the basis of this recipe is inspired by living in Spain, where we learned that everything tastes great with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and this salad is no exception. I also wanted to work out a raw dish to best utilize the nutrients of our garden greens.

Serves four for salad, two for dinner.
Best fresh, but keeps refrigerated for 2 days.
  • 1 bunch Swiss Chard, washed and chopped
  • 2 ears fresh corn, husked and kernels removed - no need to cook them. Or one cup frozen corn - allow to defrost on the counter or in the salad - don't microwave it!
  • Highest quality extra virgin olive oil
  • Your favorite balsamic vinegar
  • Parmesan cheese
  • Dried cranberries
  • Freshly ground salt and pepper
  1. In a large bowl, generously drizzle olive oil and vinegar over the chard. Toss well.
  2. Arrange on a serving platter or dinner plates.
  3. Sprinkle with corn, cranberries, and cheese.
  4. chill and/or serve immediately.

No comments: