December 15, 2010

Spanish Christmas Fudge with Sea Salt


This is good fudge. It's tried and true. It's rich and creamy. It's sophisticated and festive. It's quick and easy. What makes it Spanish is the use of dark chocolate and cinnamon. And the salt I used is actually from El Corte Engles in Sol, Madrid. They sell nice salt. Truthfully, I never ate this while living in Spain...but I imagine that if they made fudge, they'd make it like this. Generally, I'm not a big fan of fudge. I like the idea of it though and I found this recipe in The Joy of Vegan Baking. I added cinnamon and my sister, the Salty Fox, suggested sprinkling flaky salt on top. It's awesome. We passed it out to our whole neighborhood today. Oh, the joy of Christmas time.

Makes 3 dozen fudge squares. Keep sealed and refrigerated up to 4 days.
  • 12 ounces dark chocolate, broken into chunks
  • 6 tablespoons non-hydrogenated non-dairy butter (I use Earth Balance buttery spread)
  • 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk
  • flaky sea salt for sprinkling
  1. Lightly grease a baking sheet with butter. You'll only need half of it unless you double the recipe.
  2. In a double-boiler*, combine all ingredients together over medium-high heat. Keep a close eye on the mixture, stirring regularly until smooth. Don't leave it - it will burn!
  3. Quickly pour the mixture into your prepared baking sheet and spread evenly with a spatula. You want the fudge to be about half an inch thick.
  4. Let it sit for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with salt (use your fingers to ensure consistency and control). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving or packaging for gifts.

No comments: