September 20, 2010

Autumn Sweet Corn Soup


The house smelled so yummy tonight. I made a soup that turned out to be super easy and flavorful. You know how sometimes soups are a bit dull - you add so many different things to make it taste good, but it still tastes bland? Not this one. I think it was the wine and pesto added at the last second. I have a great spicy corn chowder recipe that I love, and this was kind of fashioned after that, but also after a recipe that I recently glanced at in a magazine. But really, it came from the hidden beauty of being late, grabbing some stuff out of the fridge, and throwing something together. I had actually planned to use the recipe I saw in the magazine - and corn has been super cheap in the store lately...plus, I was all excited to make soup with fresh corn. Alas, I have not made time to follow a recipe in quite a while. I'm thinking about it, though. I served the soup with beet greens and some nice dark crusty bread. No butter needed!

Serves 4.
Makes great leftovers. Cover and refrigerate up to 4 days. Or freeze for a few months.

  • 2 cups water
  • 1 veggie bullion cube
  • 3 small red potatoes
  • 3 ears fresh corn
  • 1 large sweet white onion
  • olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon pesto
  • 1 tablespoon agave or honey
  • about a 1/4 cup of dry white wine (I ended up just pouring some in at the last second...this is a conservative estimate)
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
  1. Cook the corn in boiling water for 12 minutes. Remove, allow to cool, cut off kernels. Process in a food processor (you may need to add a little bit of water) and reserve in a large mixing bowel.
  2. In a large sauce pan, bring the potatoes and veggie bullion to a boil in 2 cups water. Keep in mind that the bullion is a salt source, so don't over-salt later. Cook until potatoes are tender - about 13 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, saute the onion in a skillet with a drizzle of olive oil until tender - about 8 minutes. Process in the food processor and add to the mixing bowel.
  4. When the potatoes are cooked, pour the broth into the mixing bowel and then process potatoes. Add them to the mixing bowl.
  5. Add pesto, agave, and wine to the mixing bowl. Stir it all together. Taste and season as needed with salt and pepper.
  6. Serve immediately!

No comments: