June 2, 2010

Toasted Lemonade

So, I've recently been getting rid of a ton of stuff in order to move from Madrid to Seattle. Last week I sold our sugar jar...and the sugar stayed with it. It's been super hot here in Madrid the last couple of days and I wanted to make some lemonade...but I only had brown sugar left in the house, so I tried it. We came out with a super dark syrup - I wasn't sure about it at first...it kind of looked like burnt lemonade (I thought about calling it burnt lemonade, actually). However, it was delightfully delicious. Kind of like Lipton iced tea but less chemical and artificial and, of course, without the tea.

Serves 4.

Concentrate keeps in the refrigerator for 5 days in a sealed container or for a few months in the freezer.

  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, seeds removed
  • Ice
  • 4 lemon wedges

  1. In a pot, bring the lemon juice and the sugar to a boil.
  2. Immediately remove from heat and allow to cool - take a while, but this is the steeping time.
  3. Fill 4 glasses with ice. Add 1 part lemonade concentrate to 3 parts water. Adjust to taste. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve immediately.

No comments: