Ahh, Spring. Cold but sunny, rainy but fresh. The perfect time of year for a warm, hearty soup with a cheerful zest of lemon and soothing fragrance of lavender. This lovely soup, inspired from Sharon Shipley's Lavender Cookbook, is beautiful and satisfying...no need for bread on the side. This is a great dish to take advantage of those gorgeous springtime asparagus spears showcased in the market right now. I served it with fresh strawberry juice - a beautiful color and flavor combination.
Generously serves 4.
Keeps sealed in the fridge for 2 days or can be frozen for a month.
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 one white onion, diced
2 medium russet potatoes, cubed
3/4 cup unbleached rice (uncooked)
3 1/2 cups veggie broth
1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried lavender buds, finely ground
1 teaspoon dried thyme
zest of one lemon
juice of one lemon
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried lavender buds, finely ground
1 teaspoon lemon zest
pinch of cinnamon
- Prepare the Veggie broth: either make it from scratch or in a medium sauce pan heat 3 /12 cups water with one veggie bullion cube. Stir to combine. remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes and rice. Add veggie broth, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Cut asparagus into 2-inch pieces. Reserve the tips for garnishing.
- Add asparagus, parsley, lavender, and thyme. Simmer 5 minutes, or until potatoes and rice are tender. Working in batches, blend soup in a food processor or blender. Return to pot.
- Whisk in lemon zest and juice, salt, and pepper. We like it spicy, so I used cayenne and black pepper. If you like a thinner soup, add a little more water and whisk together until desired consistency is achieved.
- Blanch asparagus tips: In a small sauce pan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add asparagus tips for one minute. drain water and rise in cold to stop cook. Set tips aside.
- Prepare lemon sauce: in a small sauce pan, whisk together all ingredients over medium heat until it thickens, abut 3 minutes. Do not allow to boil.
- To serve, dish soup into serving bowls. Drizzle with lemon sauce and top with asparagus tips.