April 3, 2009

Eggless French Toast with Cranberry Syrup

Joey's favorite breakfast is french toast. I like it too, but the way I like it (with tons of butter and syrup) doesn't seem like the best choice for starting the day. So, I endeavored to give our french toast a make-over and this is what I came up with. We love it! Instead of eggs (which are high in cholesterol), I use ground flax seed. It works like a charm and provides omega 3. Instead of milk, I used almond milk, as I nearly always do. Instead of setting the butter on the table and mindlessly slathering it on, I made a syrup that had a little butter but spread it out more thinly and still appeased my taste buds.

Flaxseed is available at most natural food stores. I recommend that you buy the seeds whole and grind them as you need them to get as much nutrients out of them as possible. If you live in Madrid, I will happily grind some for you. Flaxseeds can be ground in a super clean coffee grinder and kept refrigerated in a sealed container.

This recipe is inspired by a myriad of Intent sources. The first time I made it, I didn't tell Joey that his favorite breakfast had been drastically altered. He didn't notice...and would likely choose this method over the traditional method in favor of good health (what a guy).

This recipe serves two.

For the frech toast
  • 8 slices bread of choice (thick and fresh tastes best)
  • 1 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • pinch of ground nutmeg
  • 3 tablespoons ground flax seed
  • oil for frying
  1. In a shallow dish, whisk together milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flaxseed.
  2. Heat a large skillet with a enough oil to coat the bottom.
  3. Dip bread slices into milk mixture until coated on both sides.
  4. Place bread into skillet and cook until golden brown. flip and repeat.
  5. Repeat with remaining slices.
  6. Depending on the size of your skillet, this may take a while. Keep finished french toast in a warm oven
For the syrup
  • 4 tablespoons cranberry jam (or whatever kind of jam you prefer to use)
  • 3 tablespoons butter (non-dairy works fine)
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. In a small sauce pan, mix together all ingredients.
  2. Heat over medium heat, do not boil. Stir frequently.
  3. when all ingredients are melted together, reduce to lowest temperature.
  4. Serve generously drizzled over finished french toast.

No comments: