February 23, 2009

Tomato Soup

I am not generally a big tomato soup lover. I especially don't appreciate Campbell's; but when it comes to this version, I am totally into it. There are several major pluses to this recipe: it's super fast, it's really cheap, and it's impressively delicious. I usually make it after a long day and serve it with a salad. There is something nice about ending the day with a great dinner that took virtually no effort. Of course, the croutons are optional, but they really are an added bonus - they soak up the soup just right and add a nice little salty crunch.

Tomato soup can be kept a sealed container in the fridge for about 5 days. It freezes really well - I'm not sure for how long. We always eat it within a month. This recipe serves three.
  • 2 cups tomato paste/frito
  • 2 cups almond milk (or whatever kind of milk you drink)
  • 1/3 cup fresh pesto
  • Sea salt to taste
  • Freshly ground pepper to taste
  • Fresh or dried parsley to garnish
  • 1/2 cup bite-size pieces of bread
  • Olive oil for drizzling
  1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
  2. In a medium sauce pan, whisk together tomato and milk over medium heat. Whisk in pesto. Season to taste. Heat to desired serving temperature.
  3. Meanwhile, on a baking tray, arrange the bread pieces evenly. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake until golden, about 6 minutes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ooo, I am so making this one night. Easy, cheap, and tasty: perfect for a starving college student!

Hi Mrs. Robertson! I finally found my way to you blog, and I am definitely going to keep coming back! How is everything?